Welcome to Tobacco Videos – the newest addition to the Tobacco Treatment Resources Tab on our website.
Below are some excellent very short videos that providers can show clients to help them quit. Or that clinical staff can use for training. Or for any website visitor who is interested in knowing more about tobacco, it’s health effects, and information on how to quit smoking.
We’ll be adding to the list as we discover more of these excellent and informative videos.
Videos for Clients
- Electronic Cigarette Safety Issue – Video about electronic cigarette and safety from UMass Memorial. Especially good for hospital/clinic setting and policy.
- Keep tobacco sacred video – Members of the Lac du Flambeau tribe and local community members talk about the difference between commercial tobacco and traditional tobacco.
- Story of Native American with COPD from Smoking – Michael’s Story – Tips from Former Smoker’s Campaign. Michael talks about living in constant fear. Smoking gave him COPD, a disease that makes it harder and harder to breathe. He says, “If I get the flu, I can die.”
- Story of Native American with asthma from SHS – Nathan’s Story – Tips from Former Smoker’s Campaign. Nathan describes his health problems—including asthma—triggered by exposure to secondhand smoke. He had to give up many activities he loved, including tribal dancing, because of damage to his lungs. That damage led to his early death at age 54.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) – Tips on how to quit smoking as part of the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Hearts and Minds initiative.
- From TRUTH campaign – Very important video to share with teens young adults about smoking let’s make sure it gets posted. Check it out 2min 37 sec.
- Tips from former smokers campaign – This National CDC campaign offers wonderful stories and videos of people from different ethnic groups and health challenges.
It has a nice video of Brian, 2.5 minutes that was dealing with AIDS and smoking. Very powerful. They all are. Videos range from 30 seconds to 2.5 minutes. Some people have a video in English and another in their native language. Try showing the video to selected clients and ask the client what came up for the client while watching.
- Video on the importance of addressing tobacco in HIV positive patients
2 minutes 18 seconds
Videos for Provider Training
- The California Smokers’ Helpline offers several videos to show to clinical staff and clients too.
This video is about the Helpline services which shows medical staff, but also shows people who have used the Helpline to quit.
Videos about advocacy and successful tobacco policies that are helping communities live healthier.
- Video on Richmond’s success in eliminating tobacco smoking from multiunit housing
1 minute and 39 seconds