The ACBHCS Quality Assurance Office provides oversight to the county’s mental health and substance use disorder systems by conducting regularly scheduled chart audits of county-run clinics as well as business associates (contracted providers). Chart audits may be also performed in varied frequencies as a result of outcomes related to Whistle Blower activity; performance measures; fiscal activity; unusual occurrence activity, or other oversight activity.
Chart audits typically are comprised of both a claims compliance review and a chart quality review. The goal of these reviews is to inform, train, promote, and evaluate provider’s compliance to Medi-Cal and the ACBHCS standards, as well as to support the provision of quality services that continually improve the lives of beneficiaries in Alameda County.
For more information on QA’s auditing processes, please see the Provider Audit Policy and Procedure and QA’s Memo Re: System-Wide Audits.
In addition to the internal reviews conducted by the BHCS QA Office, ACBHCS is externally audited by State, Federal, and Third-party institutions for various competencies and compliance to regulations.
BHCS strives to be transparent with the providers and the community. The following internal and external audit/review findings are made available to promote improvement in the quality of services as well as the quality of chart documentation.
- QA Audit Activities
- Quarter 2 -2016 System of Care Audit in reporting stage
- Quarter 3- 2016 System of Care Audit underway
- Audit Reports
- Mental Health (MH)
- Substance Use Disorder (SUD)
Audit Tools for Mental Health Services
Medi-Cal Compliant Clinical Forms and Templates
- Quality Assurance Manual
- ACBHCS MH Clinical Documentation Standards Manual for Master Contract Providers
- ACBHCS MH Clinical Documentation Standards for SMH Fee – For- Service Providers (MHP Network Providers)
- ACBHCS MH CQRT Manual
- Sample Medi-Cal Compliant Initial or Annual MH Assessment—Long Form
- Sample Medi-Cal Compliant Initial MH Assessment—Short Form
- Sample Medi-Cal Compliant Psychiatric Mental Health Assessment: PDF Word
- Sample Medi-Cal Compliant Psychiatric Mental Health Client Plan: PDF Word
- Sample Medi-Cal Compliant Outpatient MH Progress Note: PDF Word
- Sample Medi-Cal Compliant MH Treatment Plan: PDF Word
Audit Tools for Substance Use Disorder Services
SUD Authorization & Auditing Tools—Forthcoming
SUD Provider Manual—Forthcoming
SUD Forms and Templates:
- ACBHCS SUD Medi-Cal Included Dx List Numeric by ICD-10
- ACBHCS SUD Included Dx DSM-IV to DSM-5 Crosswalk
- ACBHCS SUD Medi-Cal Included Dx List Alpha by DSM-5 Name List
- Intake and Assessment Form
- Justification for Tx
- Medical Necessity
- Progress Note Template
- Treatment Plan