A total of 56 patients were included in this two-year study. Fifty-six patients continued to receive olanzapine for 12 consecutive months. The types of service utilization, medication costs, and overall costs were measured in a 1-year period prior to and then after olanzapine initiation. Clinical measures to document symptom improvement were done at medication initiation and 6 months later.
- 85% reduction in inpatient utilization occurred after medication was initiated.
- 80% reduction in acute ER utilization
- 23% increase in outpatient services correlating with greater patient stabilization
- Overall mean costs savings of $296 per pt/month. (n=56)
- Significant improvement in symptoms of schizophrenia
Intent to Treat: Cost Changes